Monday, April 16, 2012

Relay For Life!

Rest in peace Court<3
10/08/1991 - 12/13/2008
This past Saturday night my field hockey team and I went to relay for life in park center to raise awareness and celebrate those who have fought, survived, or lost their battle to cancer.  I walked around the track celebrating one of my friends Courtney Tomkin who past away almost three and a half years ago.  She had brain cancer and lost the fight after just nine months of fighting.  She was only seventeen years old.  I miss her so much and I was so proud to walk in her memory.  I also walked around the track in honor of my Uncle Kenny who had survived lymphoma cancer but now has terminal pancreatic cancer and in honor of my Aunt Dorothy who has melanoma cancer.  What really touched my heart was seeing the cancer survivors walk around the track holding the relay for life banner.  As a future educator I really hope I can host one of these events to raise awareness and money for cancer research.  I think that it is extremely important to get all of the students involved whether they be involved in different clubs, athletic teams, or if they just want to come support.  I really hope I have the opportunity to do this because this would be a great event to bring the school and community together as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment